9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Fresh Freestyle – Forward Motion, An Advanced Skills Workshop
Date: Pittsburgh, PA: June 16th, 2018
Location: Kingsley Association located at 6435 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Questions: Contact Director Suzanne Atkinson: coach @ steelcityendurance . com
Registration: Fresh Freestyle – Forward Motion, An Advanced Skills Workshop
Forward Motion Skills include the Catch, the underwater stroking portion of freestyle and the Kick. In this clinic we focus on the movement, timing and physical knowledge needed to conquer the catch and become what we call a “Catch Maestro”. A skilled catch can be elusive, and a poor catch can cause drag, fatigue and overtime, pain and injury of the shoulder joint We’ll be certain you leave with the skills and drills needed to become your own Maestro of your stroke.
Likewise, the kick, specifically a two-beat kick, looks smooth and easy but requires coordination, grace and confidence to develop. We’ll gently and patiently help you progress so that you can become a connoisseur of the kick and an ace aquatic athlete.
9:00-9:15 Poolside intro
9:15-11:15 Pool Session
11:15-12:00 Video Review & Wrap up
Taught by expert coach Suzanne Atkinson, MD, co-founder of Fresh Freestyle and co-author of Fresh Freestyle: 99 Practices for Triathletes and Swimmers.
Suzanne has over 30 years of coaching experience and has coached world champion triathlete Kirsten Sass, former world-record holder Hadar Aviram, as well as hundreds of age-group triathletes, masters swimmers and high-school aged swimmers.
What to expect?
- Poolside and in-water coaching including dry land skills and in – water drills
- Ample full stroke practice…you’ll leave with a complete and improved freestyle stroke or your money back
- Video analysis using state of the art telestration on a large format screen
- Both over and underwater analysis
- One sessions of pool time for skills, drills and swimming with a break in-between
- One classroom sessions and time to ask questions and learn about the principles of swimming
Who should take this workshop?
- Anyone who has completed Freestyle Fundamentals and is ready for further development
- Swimmers looking for improvement in full body co-ordination of their stroke
- Swimmers or triathletes who are confident with the fundamentals
- Anyone who know they are fit yet struggle with speed but are not sure why
- Competitive athletes looking to improve or avoid shoulder or neck pain when the swim
How much fitness do you need?
- Ability to exercise aerobically for 20-30 minutes at a time with rest is adequate for this clinic. Despite the ample pool time in the description above, you will NOT be swimming continuously. There are many breaks where we do short repeats, watch demonstrations and practice at your own pace.
- This workshop is recommended for those who can swim 500 yards or more of crawl stroke in 10-12 minutes or less. Working on the catch and two beat kick will require ample practice swimming, so basic conditioning is essentla.
What will you take away?
- A new awareness of how your shoulders move during the stroke
- Ability to create an effective catch that sets up a stronger, faster and more powerful stroke
- Knowledge of how to protect your shoulders and neck from injury or strain while developing speed.
- Full body coordination from head to toes, including a two beat and introduction to a six beat kick.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Required Equipment includes bathing suit and goggles and towel.
- We strongly recommend that all male swimmers wear a Speedo-type brief or tight-fitting lycra trunks, rather than baggy-style swim trunks -wearing a baggy suit will make it difficult for you to fully master balance and flow.
- If you tend to get cold quickly in the water, a short sleeved rash guard style top can help immensely (as can a thermos of hot water poolside to pour in your top for instant warmth) You’ll find buying links on the thank you page after your purchase.
- Snacks optional — it’s a 3 hour session so you may want a few calories in the middle of the session.
- Water bottle – for hydration between sessions. Bathrooms are available!
Refunds must be requested no less than 8 days prior to event date. The first $100 of your registration is considered a deposit on the course. This deposit is refundable in full if cancellation occurs at least 8 days before the event. For less than 8 days prior, Steel City Endurance reserves the right to retain the deposit in full. This deposit however, can be used for any future Steel City Endurance clinics or private lessons within the next 12 months. A physicians note, or family emergency such as hospitalization or death are extreme circumstances an deposit will be refunded in full.
If Steel City Endurance cancels the clinic for any reason, the entire purchase price including deposit will be refunded in full.