9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Fresh Freestyle Freestyle Fundamentals Workshop
Date: Pittsburgh, PA: April 289, 2018
Location: Kingsley Association located at 6435 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Questions: Contact Director Suzanne Atkinson: coach @ steelcityendurance . com
Registration: Fresh Freestyle – Freestyle Fundamentals
This workshop is for swimmers or triathletes who would like to improve their freestyle efficiency in order to swim further, faster, or enjoy swimming more. Suitable for both newer and experienced swimmers that want to experience improvements in posture, alignment and comfort. Breathing skills are integrated with stroking skills at three different intervals throughout the clinic. Two video sessions will be reviewed in the classroom.
9:00-9:15 Poolside intro
9:15-10:45 Pool 1
11:00-12:30 lunch & video review
12:45 – 2:00 Pool 2
2:15-3:00 Wrap Up
Taught by expert coach Suzanne Atkinson, MD, co-founder of Fresh Freestyle and co-author of Fresh Freestyle: 99 Practices for Triathletes and Swimmers.
Suzanne has over 30 years of coaching experience and has coached world champion triathlete Kirsten Sass, former world-record holder Hadar Aviram, as well as hundreds of age-group triathletes, masters swimmers and high-school aged swimmers.
What to expect?
- Poolside and in-water coaching including dry land skills and in – water drills
- Ample full stroke practice…you’ll leave with a complete and improved freestyle stroke or your money back
- Video analysis using state of the art telestration on a large format screen
- Both over and underwater analysis
- Two sessions of pool time for skills, drills and swimming with a break in-between
- Two classroom sessions and time to ask questions and learn about the principles of swimming
Who should take this workshop?
- Longtime swimmers who find themselves stuck on a plateau or who have lost motivation.
- New swimmers who want to develop great habits.
- Self-coached swimmers who would like expert assessment and advice.
- Triathletes looking to improve their stroke and use less energy and improve their swim times using less effort.
- Open Water swimmers looking to improve their stroke and make it more efficient.
How much fitness do you need?
- Ability to exercise aerobically for 5-10 minutes at a time with rest is adequate for this clinic. Don’t let lack of endurance scare you away from this clinic. Despite the ample pool time in the description above, you will NOT be swimming continuously. There are many breaks where we do short repeats, watch demonstrations and practice at your own pace.
- This workshop is recommended for those who can swim a minimum 50 yards/meters or more of crawl stroke. Any ability less than that would benefit from private lessons first.
What will you take away?
- A new awareness of how your body moves through the water
- A set of skills to continue building efficient endurance and speed in freestyle swimming
- A new way to think about swimming “workouts” and enjoyment. The more you enjoy, the more you’ll practice and the more you’ll improve.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Required Equipment includes bathing suit and goggles. Bring a towel of course, and you may want to have a second dry suit to put on for the second pool session.
- We strongly recommend that all male swimmers wear a Speedo-type brief or tight-fitting lycra trunks, rather than baggy-style swim trunks -wearing a baggy suit will make it difficult for you to fully master balance and flow.
- If you tend to get cold quickly in the water, a short sleeved rash guard style top can help immensely (as can a thermos of hot water poolside to pour in your top for instant warmth) You’ll find buying links on the thank you page after your purchase.
- Bring Snacks or a full lunch –You’ll have 20-30 minutes to run to a nearby lunch place for take-out, but you’ll be more relaxed if you bring your lunch with you!
- Water bottle – for hydration between sessions. Bathrooms are available!
Refunds must be requested no less than 8 days prior to event date. The first $100 of your registration is considered a deposit on the course. This deposit is refundable in full if cancellation occurs at least 8 days before the event. For less than 8 days prior, Steel City Endurance reserves the right to retain the deposit in full. This deposit however, can be used for any future Steel City Endurance clinics or private lessons within the next 12 months. A physicians note, or family emergency such as hospitalization or death are extreme circumstances an deposit will be refunded in full.
If Steel City Endurance cancels the clinic for any reason, the entire purchase price including deposit will be refunded in full.