8:00 am - 4:30 pm
TI 2.0: Smart Speed Freestyle Workshop
Pittsburgh, PA: February 10, 2018
Location: Kingsley Association located at 6435 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Questions: Contact Director Suzanne Atkinson: coach @ steelcityendurance . com
Registration: Smart Speed Freestyle Workshop
Transform your freestyle. Develop a stroke that is faster, easier, and more efficient for the long haul. Swim faster with smarter choices, instead of greater effort. Building on the fundamentals of a sound TI stroke–balancing, streamlining and efficient propulsion,
Who should take this workshop?
- You’ve learned TI techniques and feel ready for a refresher and a new Kaizen challenge.
- You’ve taken private lessons or workshops from a TI coach and you’d like to improve your speed in the water at any distance
- You’d like to boost your progress and recharge your zest for swimming.
What will you learn?
1. Swimming ‘Gears’. Learn your own best swimming gears . . . like those on a bicycle. Change speeds simply by adding a stroke to your count. Discover your best range of 3 stroke counts for this skill, and practice using them with expert guidance.
2. The Magic of Tempo. A Tempo Trainer is an improvement-minded swimmer’s best friend. Use it to make striking gains in efficiency–then convert that efficiency into more in 15 minutes or less and with an ease that will surprise you.
3. The Math of Speed. The equation Stroke Length x Stroke Rate (SL x SR) is the only exact and guaranteed predictor of how fast you’ll swim. Learn simple exercises and formulas for creating and solving speed problems. Also learn the combination of SPL+Tempo that precisely matches your present level of skill and fitness.
How much fitness do you need?
- Ability to exercise aerobically for 10-30 minutes at a time with rest is adequate for this clinic. We’ll be doing many 25 yard repeats at various tempos to explore your swimming technique. If you have inadequate endurance, you’ll tire a bit during these sets. While you’ll still learn from them you’ll maximize your learning if your fitness is a little better. Despite the ample pool time in the description above, you will NOT be swimming continuously. There are many breaks where we do short repeats, watch demonstrations and practice at your own pace.
- This workshop is recommended for those who can swim 200 yards or more of freestyle/crawl stroke at a time AND who have previously studied TI with a coach, workshop or on their own via DVD.
What will you take away?
- Understanding of the math of speed: Stroke Rate x Stroke Length = Pace
- Knowledge of how to use a Tempo Trainer in your swimming toolbox, creating variation in sets, intervals and training programs.
- Experience in your own stroke for technique & skills to work on at a variety of paces depending on your goals.
Schedule: (subject to minor revision)
8:00-8:15 Check in
8:15-9:00 Classroom 1
9:15-11:00 Pool 1 (group video & instruction)
11:00-12:00 lunch on your own
12:00-1:00 Classroom 2 (video review)
1:15-3:00 Pool 2 (review & final video)
3:15-4:15 Classroom 3 (video review & questions)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Note pad and pen or laptop/tablet for taking notes
- Bathing suit (two if you want a dry one for the afternoon), goggles, towels. We strongly recommend that all male swimmers wear a Speedo-type brief or tight-fitting lycra trunks, rather than baggy-style swim trunks -wearing a baggy suit will make it difficult for you to fully master balance and flow.
- Swimming pool water can get pretty chilly over time, so if you have a short sleeved surfing style rash top bring it with you.
- Snacks – You may get hungry during the day!
- Water bottle – You don’t want to get dehydrated!
- You may pack a lunch. There are also casual restaurants within walking distance of the pool.
No refund will be issued for cancellations less than 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop unless a doctor’s note can be provided. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, any monies paid above the $100 deposit will be refunded in full. The $100 deposit per person remains non-refundable, but may be transferred to any future workshop within one year of initial registration.