8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Effortless Endurance Freestyle Workshop
Pittsburgh, PA: January 13th, 2018
Location: Kingsley Association located at 6435 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Questions: Contact Director Suzanne Atkinson: coach @ steelcityendurance . com
Registration: Effortless Endurance Freestyle Workshop
Description: This workshop introduces the fundamental skills and three foundations of Total Immersion swimming – balance, streamlining, stability. You will learn how to swim effortlessly and efficiently in a fun and friendly environment. The workshop includes:
- Video analysis using state of the art telestration on a large format screen
- Both over and underwater analysis
- Detailed breakdown of each concept discussed in classroom & pool
- 2 two-hour sessions of pool time for skills, drills and swimming with a 2 hour break in-between
- 3 classroom sessions and time to ask questions and learn about the principles of swimming
Who should take this workshop?
- Longtime swimmers who find themselves stuck on a plateau or who have lost motivation.
- New swimmers who want to develop great habits.
- Self-coached swimmers who would like expert assessment and advice.
- Triathletes looking to improve their stroke and use less energy and improve their swim times using less effort.
- Open Water swimmers looking to improve their stroke and make it more efficient.
What will you learn?
During the workshop you’ll learn the three foundation skills of effortless distance swimming:
- Balance and Stability: Become ‘weightless’ by learning to cooperate with gravity instead of fighting it. Learning balance transforms struggle into smoothness and calms churning legs. It also brings the body control and mental calm necessary to learn every skill that follows.
- Sleek and Slippery: Learn to move through water, rather than move it around, by shaping your body to be longer, better aligned, more hydrodynamic; and Stroking in ways that minimize waves and turbulence. Slippery swimming means that you travel farther and easier on each stroke.
- Whole Body Propulsion: Replace churning with effortless power by connecting arm and leg actions to rhythmic, relaxed weight shifts initiated in the core. Instead of generating muscular force you’ll direct ‘available’ forces of body mass and gravity.
How much fitness do you need?
- Ability to exercise aerobically for 5-10 minutes at a time with rest is adequate for this clinic. Don’t let lack of endurance scare you away from this clinic. Despite the ample pool time in the description above, you will NOT be swimming continuously. There are many breaks where we do short repeats, watch demonstrations and practice at your own pace.
- This workshop is recommended for those who can swim 50 meters or more of crawl stroke or who have studied TI skills previously via DVD.
What will you take away?
- The tools to work on a transformed stroke that will let you swim from a mile to a marathon . . . and feel energized afterward.
- The knowledge and awareness to begin a path of continuous improvement (we call it Kaizen) that can continue for decades.
- You’ll enjoy swimming as never before. And the more you enjoy, the more you’ll practice and the more you’ll improve.
Schedule: (subject to minor revision)
8:00-8:15 Check in
8:15-9:00 Classroom 1
9:15-11:00 Pool 1 (group video & instruction)
11:00-12:00 lunch on your own
12:00-1:00 Classroom 2 (video review)
1:15-3:00 Pool 2 (review & final video)
3:15-4:15 Classroom 3 (video review & questions)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Note pad and pen or laptop/tablet for taking notes
- Bathing suit (two if you want a dry one for the afternoon), goggles, towels. We strongly recommend that all male swimmers wear a Speedo-type brief or tight-fitting lycra trunks, rather than baggy-style swim trunks -wearing a baggy suit will make it difficult for you to fully master balance and flow.
- Swimming pool water can get pretty chilly over time, so if you have a short sleeved surfing style rash top bring it with you.
- Snacks – You may get hungry during the day!
- Water bottle – You don’t want to get dehydrated!
- You may pack a lunch. There are also casual restaurants within walking distance of the pool.
No refund will be issued for cancellations less than 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop unless a doctor’s note can be provided. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, any monies paid above the $100 deposit will be refunded in full. The $100 deposit per person remains non-refundable, but may be transferred to any future workshop within one year of initial registration.