Well, another amazing weekend of racing in the books. Finally made it on the overall podium at USAT Olympic Distance Triathlon Nationals, racing it out with the best of the best. Honored to even toe the line with these athletes. Day 2 (the sprint) was tough, really felt Saturday’s efforts, but gave it all I had. Suzanne Atkinson, thanks for guiding the way and being an amazing coach.
She somehow manages to balance her work, personal life, and coach – I don’t know how. Through injury and illness, podiums and ‘I was just thankful to make it to the finish’, we have been through a lot the past few years. Thank you for your constant encouragement, helping me keep my life balanced, and always supporting whatever crazy race schedules I dream up.
And my wonderful family support – I would not be here without you!!!!! Thanks to all who cheered, hoped, and believed – you keep me going.Kirsten Sass
Some Athlete Accomplishments
- 35 Year old Mother & Physicians Assistant wins 2013 Athlete of the Year & 2014 & 2015 Duathlon National Championships.
- 32 year old Veterinary Technician wins Arizona State Cyclocross, Mountain Bike & Criterium State Championships
- 22 year old graduate student qualifies for Xterra national Championships
- 24 year old Engineer qualifies for Kona Ironman World Championships
- 36 year old lawyer sets World Record for marathon swimming, the Lake Kinneret, Israel .
- 58 year old retired dad qualifies for Boston in his first Marathon with 5 minutes to spare
- 47 year old father knocked 47 minutes off his half iron triathlon PR at Musselman in July
- In her first full iron distance triathlon, 50 year old female with artificial hip completed Challenge Atlantic City in 14:53
- 39-year old dad finished his first half marathon less than a year after running his first-ever 5k.
- 38-year old mom finished 2nd Age Group at Riverview 5k
- 44-year old dad finished his first marathon, the 2014 Pittsburgh Marathon, in 3:52.
- Training for a first time event
- Training for a first time distance
- Training for a PR in a specific event or distance
- Efficient use of time Improvement in Power
- Improvement in Speed
- Improvement in Technique
I utilized Anne-Marie as a coach to increase my 5k and half marathon time as well as to complete a 70.3 distance triathlon. I met all my goals with great success and I largely attribute that success to Anne Marie’s coaching. We seamlessly work together from two different parts of the country. Anne-Marie was incredibly informative, responsive, flexible and offered amazing guidance along the way. I highly recommend her as a coach.Jodi Blaine
Thanks Suzanne, we just got back to San Diego…i’m wiped out…but feel great…I truly could not have done this without your coaching….I was very much prepared by all your plans and the nutrition was dialed in exactly. You’re an amazing coach! Thanks for helping make this dream of mine possible…you game planned this perfectly…tomTom Scholar
Thank you! I was 340 pounds back in October of 2011. I made a commitment to get healthy and lose weight. Completing a triathlon became a goal of mine as I chose to get healthy. Without your unbelievable training plan, I would not have successfully completed my first ever triathlon. I am now 243 pounds light and still losing weight and getting healthy.
From the bottom of my heart, Thank You!Patrick Gadsby
Contact Us For Coaching
Contact us today to get started with your triathlon training plan.
About The Head Coach
Steel City Endurance Head Coach & Founder is Suzanne Atkinson, MD. Suzanne relentlessly pursues ongoing experience in direct mentoring relationships with elite coaches and soaks up training information from primary sources, journal articles, and university level education. She has experience not only in 1 on 1 coaching for swimming, cycling & running, but has also coached triathlon and swimming camps in Cabo Rojo, Puerto rico; Kona, Hawaii; Boulder, CO & London UK.
Certifications imply a standard has been met by a national organization. While they are not a guarantee of coaching ability or knowledge, the maintenance and achievement of certification shows ongoing pursuit of continuing education, experience with athletes and a commitment to the sport.
Suzanne holds an active Level 2 USA Triathlon Certification with Elite Mentoring Experience, as well as USA Cycling Level 2. She is also a Master Coach for Total Immersion and helps lead & develop coaching education for new trainees.
In addition to her endurance coaching experience & credentials, Suzanne is a Board Certified Emergency Medicine Physician, has masters level coursework in Exercise Physiology, is am a former Outward Bound instructor with experience teaching expedition skills, whitewater kayaking, rockclimbing & mountaineering.